How to: Christmas Crafts with the Kids
Christmas crafts with the kids
To celebrate Christmas, we hosted a crafting workshop with the incredibly talented Ann-Marie from My Hong Kong ABC at our studio in Wong Chuk Hang. Little ones had the opportunity to make their own festive decorations and Christmas cards. We wanted to share all the tips and tricks directly from My Hong Kong ABC on how you can do these simple crafts at home as well!
CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS WITH AIR DRY CLAY
This easy to make Christmas decorations will not only keep the little ones occupied but can also be a unique keepsake for your tree in years to come.
~ 2 cups baking soda
~ 1 cup cornstarch plus more for kneading
~ 1 ½ cups water
1. In a small pot, mix together the baking soda and cornstarch.
2. Stir in the water until completely blended. Place pot over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly for 10 to 15 minutes until the clay begins to form. Remove from heat and continue stirring until the mixture becomes a sticky but soft dough.
3. Allow the dough to cool to the touch.
4. Place dough on a surface coated with additional cornstarch. Begin kneading the clay adding more cornstarch as needed until the clay becomes smooth and the tacky feeling is gone.
5. To store, wrap tightly in tin foil and place in an airtight container.
6. To dry, place shapes on a drying rack. If needed, flip shapes over after one side has dried. Depending on the thickness of the object, the clay may take up to 3 days to dry completely.
*recipe by https://myheavenlyrecipes.com/
EASY CHRISTMAS CARDS
Always on the hunt for Christmas cards? This simple craft gives family and friends that personal touch having been made by one of your little ones.
1) Paper of your choice: Any local stationers or recycled paper you can find that would be good for a card!